AMP: Ambassador Musician Program | Community Outreach and Mentorship
ESYO’s Ambassador Musician Program (AMP), encourages older members of the orchestras to become ambassadors and advocates for music education and performance, and mentors for younger students! As Ambassador Musicians, ESYO students have opportunities to:
- Rehearse and learn chamber music with professional musicians and coaches (Mondays, 5:30-6:30, South Eugene High Choir Room)
- Mentor beginning strings students in our String Academy program for 4th and 5th graders
- Work one-on-one with young musicians in our younger ensembles
- Bring youth music out to the community through small group performances at local events
- Represent ESYO and music education through appearances or performances.
AMP hours are also counted as community service hours for high school students! Members of Youth Symphony or Junior Orchestra can get involved with AMP by signing up at the beginning of the season, or by contacting the office.
AMP was a tremendous success in its debut year, and continues to provide opportunities for young musicians to share their love of music with our community. We are excited about the continued growth of this program!
Activities for AMP Participants
Mentoring String Academy 1 musicians:
Beginning string players need and appreciate the encouragement of older students who understand what they are learning and doing. Peer mentoring can often make a huge difference in the young student’s experience. AMP musicians find this an extremely rewarding experience as well.
- Attend ESYO String Academy classes to help with tuning instruments at the start of class, assist the instructor as he or she teaches the class by monitoring students and keeping students engaged and focused.
Mentoring Little Symphony and String Academy 2 musicians:
Young musicians benefit greatly from one-on-one instruction and small group sectionals. This can be very effective in skill and confidence building. Many of our young participants do not receive private lessons, so individual instruction will have a big impact on their success.
- Attend LS or SA2 rehearsals and help monitor young students and play with the ensembles
- Work with conductors to provide individual or small group mentoring in practice rooms
- Through outreach and community events, our musicians can be ambassadors for ESYO and our important programs.
- Small group performances at community events.
In the 2015-2016 Season, AMP musicians volunteered and performed for 10 different special local events. AMP mentors were on hand to help our youngest musicians with over 100 volunteer hours! ESYO Ambassador Musicians play an important role in advocating for music education while sharing their music with our community – a great combination that benefits everyone!
If you are interested in having an AMP performance at your event, please fill out an AMP Request form here!
Previous AMP Performances
AMP Atrium Performance 6/04/16 – click here for photos
“I went to the Atrium today to hear the ESYO AMP Quartet play. They were delightful.”
AMP performs with Oregon Children’s Choral Festival 04/19/16 – click here for video!
“They did a great job and I hope it was really fun for them too.” – Bruce Searle of the Oregon Children’s Choir
AMP adds to Eugene Symphony Garden Tour 6/12/16 – click here for video!
“Thank you for playing in the garden of Jim and Dyane Malmgren for our Music in the Garden benefit for the Eugene Symphony. Your lovely music greatly enhanced the beauty of that garden. Patrons passing through the garden and the Liaisons, Bonnie and Inga, said they really enjoyed listening to you. Thank you so much…they conducted themselves as professional musicians.”