Auditions for the 2019-20 season will take place at South Eugene High School (SEHS). Click on your instrument family to sign up.
- Woodwinds: Mon, June 3, 2019, 5:00-9:00pm
- Brass: Mon, June 3, 2019, 5:00-9:00pm
- Percussion: Mon, June 3, 2019, 6:00-7:30pm
- Low Strings (Bass, Cello, Viola): Tues, June 4, 2019, 5:00-9:00pm
- Violins: Saturday, June 8, 2019: 9:00am-5:00pm (Morning is reserved for students entering elementary and middle school; afternoon for those entering high school.)
PLEASE NOTE: The audition sign up form has a place to write if you will be out of town on your designated date, or have a previously scheduled conflict that you cannot change. We will do our best to accommodate, but please make arrangements to audition on the dates listed. We have carefully selected our adjudicators, and setting up other times is difficult. Fall auditions are available ONLY in the following cases:
- Returning or new students who were ill or out of town during spring auditions
- Students recruited by the conductor in the fall in order to fill needed positions
- Students who have recently moved into the area
ESYO Audition and Participation Policies:
Commitment: Please make sure you understand the commitment you are making. Attendance requirements are strict and are critical for maintaining the continuity of the orchestras!
Eligibility Requirement: ESYO works closely in collaboration with local schools to provide a well-rounded musical experience and we expect our student musicians to be enrolled in their school music program (if one is available). For the 2019-20 season, exceptions to the policy will be given to high school students whose only option to take orchestra is in zero period. We will still expect students at other schools (i.e., middle schools, or high schools that offer orchestra during the school day) to register for music classes. However, we will also continue to review individual exemption requests through a committee of board members who will maintain student confidentiality. Please read the full policy here.
No re-auditions: Once a student has auditioned and is placed in an orchestra there will be no re-auditions.
Remember: Auditions are not meant to stress students out! Prepare your solo carefully, know your scales, and you will be fine. Everyone is nervous, but our goal is to place each student in the ensemble that will give them the best musical experience.
- Audition Steps:
Step 1 – Sign up for an audition online.
Step 2 – Practice required audition materials – click here for a list. Although auditions are not specifically designated by orchestra, you should prepare for the orchestra you would like to play in next year.
Step 3 – Please arrive 15 minutes ahead of your scheduled time
Step 4 – Make sure you bring two copies of your solo music for the judges.
- Come to the SEHS band room, purple door on the SE side of school.
- Check in at reception table.
- Fill out and SIGN your audition form and bring it back to reception table.
- Wait for someone to lead you to warm-up room.
- When you are called, take your audition form and 2 copies of your solo music to the judges.
Step 5 – Look for results of auditions, which will be posted by Monday, June 17, 2019.
Step 6 – If placed in one of our orchestras, fill out the registration materials on the corresponding orchestra page on our website by July 31.
CLICK HERE for a USEFUL TIPSHEET!
- Feel free to dress up a little for your audition. Although it is not required, it can help some students feel ready for a performance
- Play music you are comfortable with and best displays your skills.
- Practice sight-reading before your audition. Materials will be on the less difficult side.
- Practice your audition in front of family and friends. This can really help with nerves.
- Have 2 copies of your music for the judges.
- Introduce yourself and your selections before you play.