Auditions for the 2018-19 season will take place at South Eugene High School (SEHS) and are scheduled for:
STRINGS: Tues. May 29, and Wed. May 30, 4:30-8:30pm
WINDS, BRASS, PERCUSSION: Mon. June 4, 4:30-8:30pm
- Sign-up sheets available at orchestra rehearsals starting 4/23
- General public may sign up beginning 4/24 by calling the office at 484-0473.
ESYO Audition and Participation Policies:
- Commitment: Please make sure you understand the commitment you are making. Attendance requirements are strict and critical for maintaining the continuity of the orchestras!
- Eligibility Requirement: musicians in ESYO orchestras must also participate in their school band or orchestra program, if there is one at your school. Exceptions are rare, and will be decided by a separate committee. A form is included with your registration materials that must be signed by your music teacher.
- No re-auditions: Once a student has auditioned and is placed in an orchestra there will be no re-auditions. If you decide not to join
- There are limited number of students accepted to audition after the official audition dates. This DOES NOT include those for whom the dates were inconvenient or who simply didn’t feel prepared in time. These auditions are available ONLY in the following cases. If you fall into one of the categories below, you must call the office and request a future audition.
- Returning or new students who were ill or out of town during spring auditions.
- Students recruited by the conductor in the fall in order to fill needed positions.
- Students who have recently moved into the area.
Step 1 – Sign up for an audition time
- For those who are already members of an ESYO orchestra, please sign up for a time at your regular rehearsals.
- For those who are not currently members of the orchestras, please call the ESYO office at 541-484-0473 beginning May 4, 2018 to sign up for an audition.
Step 2 – Practice required audition materials – click here for a list. Although auditions are not specified for each orchestra, you should prepare for the orchestra you would like to play in next year.
Step 3 – Please arrive 15 minutes ahead of your scheduled time.
- Come to the SEHS band room, purple door on the southeast side of the building.
- Check in at the reception desk.
- Fill out and sign an audition form.
- Wait for someone to lead you to warm-up room.
Step 4 – Be ready to be taken to your audition room 2-3 minutes prior to your scheduled audition time.
Step 5 – Results of auditions will be posted HERE by Friday, June 8.
Step 6 – If you are placed in one of our orchestras, please fill out the registration materials which will be available on the corresponding orchestra page on our website by July 1.
- Please arrive early enough to be well prepared for your audition.
- Feel free to dress up a little for your audition.
- Play music you are comfortable with and best displays your skills.
- Prepare your scales carefully.
- Practice sight-reading before your audition.
- Practice your audition in front of family and friends.
- Have 2 copies of your music for the judges.
- Introduce yourself and your selections before you play.
- Complete the required paperwork and turn it in before you leave.