Thank you for your interest in working for Eugene-Springfield Youth Orchestras!
Job Opening – Junior Orchestra Conductor
ESYO seeks applicants for a part-time conductor for the Eugene-Springfield Junior Orchestra for the 2017-18 season. ESYO is a nonprofit organization providing music education and performance opportunities for students of all backgrounds in the Eugene/Springfield area in Oregon. Our mission is to inspire and lead students on a journey of discovery through orchestral instruction and performance. We do this by offering the highest quality instruction progressing from beginning classes to advanced orchestras, providing need-based program and private lesson scholarships, and collaborating with area schools and arts organizations. Junior Orchestra (JO) is one of ESYO’s three auditioned ensembles, and the second of top two full symphonic orchestras, with 55-70 musicians. It serves as a training orchestra for the Eugene-Springfield Youth Symphony, and members usually remain in JO for two or more years before auditioning into YS.
- Exceptional musicianship and conducting skills
- Music-related college degree
- Significant experience working with youth musicians from age 10 and up;
- A proven record of success with audience relations and innovative programming;
- Confidence and patience to motivate and inspire young musicians;
- Strong communication and leadership skills;
- Oregon residents preferred.
- Develop the artistic vision of the Eugene-Springfield Junior Orchestra (JO);
- Coordinate and supervise orchestra’s activities including, but not limited to, rehearsals, and concerts;
- Conduct and lead JO rehearsals on Monday nights from 6:45-8:45pm at Roosevelt Middle School from September through May.
- Present and conduct at least four concerts per season, two at South Eugene High, an outreach concert at Springfield High, and one other outreach concert.
- Arrange and oversee orchestral coaching for the orchestra;
- Work collaboratively with the other ESYO conductors and Executive Director to:
* Recruit students to audition for the JO.
* Attend spring and fall auditions and help prepare placement lists (early June and Sept).
* Select appropriate music for JO.
* Work closely with board members, staff, and registrars in preparing marketing materials, concert programs, fundraising events, outreach projects, ticket sales, special events, and recognition;
- Participate in the governance of the orchestra by reporting to the ESYO board of directors as required;
- Assist in the promotion of the orchestra by being available for public appearances;
- Collaborate with ESYO Board and Executive Director in planning and programming for the orchestra.
Interested candidates may send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 19, 2017. Please include “JO Conductor Search” in the subject title. In your cover letter, please tell us why you are interested in this position, what your experience and skills will bring to the organization and the orchestra, and how you would meet the schedule requirements.